Adding Fractions Intro
Adding fractions doesn't have to be daunting... In fact, it's quite a simple process when you know the right methods which to use. Watch, as KSOL's very own Hugo teaches Kat how to add fractions in less than 5 minutes.
In this maths tuition video Hugo shows Kat how to add fractions by demonstrating how to find the common denominator between two fractions so that she can split pizza equally between her friends.
Adding fractions is easy with KSOL!
How To Fractions - 3 Simple Steps to Remember When Adding Fractions
- Step 1: Find the lowest common multiples of the two denominators within the fractions you are trying to add.
- Step 2: Remember - Whatever changes you make to the denominator you must also make to the numerator.
- Step 3: Once you have made both denominators the same you can then add your fractions together.
Importance in Education
Understanding fractions is a key part of the Key Stage 2 syllabus.
If your child is looking to take the 11 Plus entrance exam or if you are looking for an independent education for your child then it is essential your child has a solid understanding of fractions.
If you feel you child requires further support with adding fractions there are many ways in which we can help.
Simply call us on 0121 244 8605 to speak to one of our friendly 11 Plus advisors.
Fractions in Every Day Life
Fractions are used commonly throughout our everyday life in areas such as:
- Cooking – For ingredients such as ½ cup, ¼ teaspoon
- Directions – In ¼ mile, in ½ kilometre
- Money – In sales e.g. 1/3rd off in store
Therefore a solid understanding of fractions is essential.
So... Now you know how to add fractions why not take a look around to explore the rest of our site?